All the Record Breaking Moments from the first Test match.
Fresh life was infused in the first Test between India and Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens, when Virat Kohli completed his 50th international hundred, helping India post a competitive target of 231 for the tourists before tea on the fifth day. In the process of scoring his 18th Test hundred, Kohli broke a number of records. Here are all the numbers from the fifth day:
1) Virat Kohli is the first Indian cap to score a century and a duck in the same Test. He is also the 18th batsman overall.
2) Virat Kohli stands second on the list of most fifty-plus scores in a calendar year by an Indian captain.
3) Kohli became the fourth captain to score nine international centuries in a calendar year.
4) Kohli became the seventh batsman to score 50 or more international hundreds in a career.
5) Virat Kohli’s 18th hundred in Tests is his fifth vs Sri Lanka. Only five Indian batsmen have posted more centuries than Kohli in Tests — Sachin Tendulkar (51), Rahul Dravid (36), Sunil Gavaskar (34), Virender Sehwag (23) & Mohammad Azharuddin (22).
6) Kohli’s 119-ball century is his quickest in Tests, bettering the 129-ball century vs New Zealand at Wellington in February 2014.
7) Kohli’s feat of reaching 50 international hundreds in 348 innings is the joint-quickest — the same innings taken by Hashim Amla.
— BCCI (@BCCI) November 20, 2017
8) Having already posted six hundreds in ODIs and three in Tests, Kohli became the first Indian captain to post nine hundreds in a calendar year. Ricky Ponting is the only captain to hit 9 centuries in a calendar year twice — 2005 & 2006. Graeme Smith had accomplished the feat in 2005.
9) Kohli became the second Indian batsman after Sachin Tendulkar (100) and the eighth overall to hit 50 or more centuries in international cricket — the next six being Ricky Ponting (71), Kumar Sangakkara (63), Jacques Kallis (62), Hashim Amla (54), Mahela Jayawardene (54) and Brian Lara (53)
11 – Kohli now has the joint-most hundreds as an Indian captain (11).