Lionel Messi ‘set to sign new Barcelona deal until 2022′ as his father lands in Spain for contract talks
- Lionel Messi’s current Barcelona contract is due to expire in 18 months
- Mundo Deportivo and Sport say he will become the world’s highest-paid player
- His father and agent Jorge landed in Barcelona on Wednesday to discuss terms
Lionel Messi’s 12-year professional career at Barcelona is set to continue with the star in talks over signing a new contract, according to reports in Spain.
Messi is all set to sign a new contract that will keep him at Barcelona until 2022, according to a report by News18. The Argentine superstar will put pen to paper on a bumper new deal that will see him become the highest paid player in Europe.
The report also adds that Messi is likely to earn a whopping £30 million per year should he sign the new contract.
Messi’s father landed in Barcelona on Wednesday with both he and the club determined to make ‘sure he is the best paid player in the world ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo,’ who penned a new £365,000-a-week five-year deal at eternal rivals Real Madrid last month.
Barcelona had already handed new improved contracts to Neymar and Luis Suarez earlier in 2016 but their attempts to tie down Messi had been shot down. With the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s contract running out in 2018, there was an impending fear that he will move on a free transfer.
All Barcelona fans can breathe a sigh of relief with this news. Until last week speculations were rife of the impending departure of their beloved player. But now that Messi is all set to sign the new contract, everything will be forgotten and forgiven.
Messi has proved time and again that he is the best footballer of the current generation. He is meant to stay at Barcelona for the rest of his career. With both the player and the club keen on keeping their association, it is now only a matter of time before the formalities are completed.
Despite that economic lure it is believed that the idea of continuing to play alongside fellow forwards Neymar and Luis Suarez appeals greatly to Barca’s No 10.
Neymar signed a new £289,000-a-week deal until 2021 at the Nou Camp in October, while Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu revealed on Thursday that Suarez will be offered a new contract with the Spanish champions until 2022.
THE TOP-10 BEST-PAID FOOTBALLERS IN THE WORLD IN 2017
1) Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) £365,000 per week £19m per year*
2) Lionel Messi (Barcelona) £365,000 per week £19m per year*
3) Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) £346,000 per week £18m per year*
4) Hulk (Shanghai SIPG) £317,000 per week £16.5m per year
5) Paul Pogba (Manchester United) £290,000 per week £15m per year
6) Neymar (Barcelona) £289,000 per week £15m per year*
7) Graziano Pelle (Shandong Luneng) £260,000 per week £13.5m per year
8) Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) £260,000 per week £13.5m per year
9) Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Manchester United) £250,000 per week £13m per year
10) Sergio Aguero (Manchester City) £240,000 per week £12.5m per year
11) Yaya Toure (Manchester City) £240,000 per week £12.5m per year